Missionary Bliss

Well, here we are seven months in to this missionary thing.  I always knew that being a missionary took great sacrifice.
There is this thing called culture shock that I was told I would encounter.  I have and I am and it's not very enjoyable.
I have not written on our family blog for months, because in reality I don't want to write what I know people want to hear-just to satisfy them and make them want to donate more.  It's like going to a festive party when you've just had an argument with your spouse (don't tell me you don't know what that feels like).  I don't like acting-(actually I LOVE acting, but only when it's FOR acting.)

There are so many changes for a person to absorb on all levels, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

 Food changes: things I've never seen, tasted or smelled before, guinea pig, intestines of who knows what, quail eggs, etc.  Things that I use to love but never see anymore (sour cream, ruby red squirt, marshmallow cream, enchilada sauce). 

Housing changes: from house living to apartment living, plumbing (no toilet paper allowed in the toilets, often no toilet seats, the necessity of carrying your own toilet paper when out in town).  Gas tanks in my house for water.  No heating or air conditioning.  No dryers.  No carpet (anywhere!)

Language: my personal largest mountain.  Somewhere in my thoughts, I figured I would be fluent in 3 short months-wrong!  This involves so many areas-I can't even begin to describe.

Scenery: Iron bars on almost every door and window.  Very little grass, no yards.

Family and lack of family:  I have been with my family, non-stop for seven months.  Don't get me wrong, my family is one of my most wonderful blessings from God-but sometimes you need a change of scenery to enjoy what you have-we have 2 teenagers and one college age daughter living with us-they are at the age that naturally begets getting out and here we are, closer than ever! :)   Then there is our wonderful son and his new wife that we had to leave in the States, along with our other relatives.

Space:  I am a person that requires time and space to reflect.  I have had, maybe,  3 hours alone in the past 7 months. 

I could go on-there are several other large hurdles, but as you can see I am on a negative, downspiral.

As I started mediating on Patience in the name of Love for January.  God quietly, gently reminded me that not all things are FUN,  and I can show Him my love by being patient during this time.  Patience is the opposite of every core attitude that is pushed at us daily from the outside.  Therefore we must be intentional about patience and realize that it is a precious part of Love.  Patience is definitely something we want given to us in abundance but are very stingy to give.

Patience

 A Purtian Prayer: 
May my desires be enlarged and my hopes emboldened, that I may honor you by my entire
dependency  on you and by the greatness of my expectation of what you will do.

God continue to be with me and prepare me for all the happiness of prosperity and stress of adversity,  May I always find your grace more than sufficient for all my needs.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you taking?